Wednesday 23 March 2011

Judgement Call


Once again it had happened. Ithiria, my dear darling Ithiria had lost her mind. Kneeling there on the deck of the 'Hand of Faith' motionless, almost catatonic. Next to her, one of her pets, the delightful Kayli Orchidia. Aaaah, how I know you of old. I still remember those precious hours we spent together, though I'm sure you wouldn't.

The look of your arm, so pale like the rest of your naked body, made me remember. I pulled out my blade and while walking around them both I told her what I was going to do. Cut her arm down to the bone, scrape it, listen to the sound of my blade over bone. Hearing the symphony of her screams and the note of bone.

Catatonic or not, our implants were still linked, even though I had shut most of them off. I guess I never gave up hope. I made a judgement call.

Yeah.....

As I leaned in to cut her, Ithiria awoke, broke my arm I saw the look in her eyes. I had dared to contemplate touching something of hers. I remembered that look, I'd seen it before... in my defence.. and against me. Then she cut the lights.

Yeah.... shite.....

She danced around me, cutting me where she could, though my body armour protected a lot. Using the ships internal sensors she was able to see me in the dark. Luckily from my time spent with Angelina building ships like this, and from my time aboard this ship... I had an idea how to get around... and I almost did. I just forgot... damn that Ja'li.

So I blew the power conduits, shorted out the room and a good portion of the ships internal sensors and fled into the maze of corridors and hidden rooms. I found my old sanctuary and set my arm and listened in on the security net as Ja'li organised a search of the ship for me. Poor Ja'li, for her to think she could pin me down, I am a snake, I can go anywhere. And if necessary I can bite.

Yeah....

I forgot, only one person knows this ship better than I do. I should have realised that something was wrong when I felt safe enough to fall asleep. Don't get me wrong, a bullet in one arm, the other broken and tanked up on stims and pain killers and adrenaline.... when it wore off I closed my eyes. I thought I was safe. So I made a judgement call....

Yeah....

I woke looking into her eyes. I never forget that look, the compassion tinged with anger, tinged with that look I remember so well from the old days.

Yeah....

So I made a judgement call....

No comments:

Post a Comment